incubator-socialsite-dev mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subscribe: Apache Social site
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:03:59 GMT
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Pavan Gorakavi<gorakavi@gmail.com> wrote:
>       I am Pavan Kumar Gorakavi, Vice president of IPMA - Young Crew, USA.
> I am currently working as Sr.Software developer in Idearc Media Service,
> Dallas,TX  [Sister company of Verizon]. I did my Bachelors and Masters both
> in computer science. I did my MBA from University of Texas at Dallas and
> GMCP from Southern Methodist School [COX Business School]. I hold SUN, IBM
> and PMI certifications. I have over 7 years of professional experience.
>
>      I am interested in joining Apache SocialSite. How can I be part of
> your development team?

Excellent. I look forward to working with you.

Generally, they way to join an open source team as a developer is
simply to start acting as a developer and member of the team. Study
the code and architecture. Ask questions along the way. Answer
questions and requests for help when you can. Submit patches for
features and bug fixes that you need or that you think would be
fun/challenging to develop.

It helps to start small and submit fixes for bug fixes or small new
features because until you have commit access to the SVN code repo, a
project member will have to review your patches and commit them for
you and giant patches are hard for people to review.

It also helps to discuss what you plan to do because you might find
others to work with or somebody might have some good advice about how
you should implement what you want to do.

After doing this for some time, chances are a project member will
nominate you for membership because they know that your patches are
good and you get along well with others.

That's how we intended things to work when SocialSite was a Sun-funded
open source project and that's how things work at Apache.

Hope that helps.

- Dave