From "Scott Golightly" <scott_goligh...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Network Connecton Error
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:32:30 GMT
It sounds like you have the setup correct. Are you still getting the error?

If I followed the setup correctly you have SQL server installed on a virtual
machine with the Stocktrader application on the host machine. If this is the
case you can try connecting to the SQL server from the virtual machine to
help narrow down the possible causes of the error.
If you installed SQL Server Management studio you can open it and from the
login dialog box choose a server type of "Database Engine", choose or enter
your server in the server name field (I use "localhost\SQLExpress), choose
"SQL Server Authentication" for the authentication type, enter sa for the
login, and enter the password. Then click on the options button at the
bottom right of the dialog. From the connection properties tab change the
network protocol to TCP/IP. If you can click the connect button and connect
to the server then you know that TCP/IP is configured correctly on the SQL
server and the problem most likely is with the firewall/DNS/configuration
settings.
If you didn't install SQL Server Management studio you can use the command
line tool SQLCMD. To do that open a command prompt. In my installation
SQLCMD is in the path but if it is not on your machine you will need to
change to the c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn
directory. You can type sqlcmd -? for the full syntax but the following
command line should let you connect to test.
Sqlcmd -U sa -P <sa password> -S <server name>
There is no way with sqlcmd to force a particular protocol for connecting
but if you use something like 127.0.0.1\SQLExpress for the machine name it
should use TCP/IP.

Scott Golightly