From Michael Stroucken <mxs+apa...@cmu.edu>
Subject suspending machines in Tashi
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:23:02 GMT
I'm looking at improving the speed with which VMs can be suspended or
migrated, and I'd like to make a change to streamline things.

Currently, when a machine suspends, it writes its state to the local
file system. Once the dump is complete, the state file is copied into
the DFS. On resuming though, the state file is fed directly to qemu from
the DFS.

I'd like to eliminate the copy and store the state file directly into
DFS. In my case, the DFS is a mount on a filer, provided courtesy of
Netapp. Writing directly to the Netapp cuts out a potential failure
location plus it provides higher performance versus the local drive.

I think it is a win, but I wanted to make sure that the suspend
functionality wasn't intentionally organized this way.

Thanks,
Michael.