From Richard Gass <richardg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tashi report for January 2013
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:50:41 GMT
Sorry, I messed something with the copy and paste leaving off the a few
lines.

Thanks

2013-January Tashi Incubator Status Report

Tashi has been incubating since September 2008.

The Tashi project aims to build a software infrastructure for cloud
computing on massive internet-scale datasets (what we call Big Data).
The idea is to build a cluster management system that enables the Big
Data that are stored in a cluster/data center to be accessed, shared,
manipulated, and computed on by remote users in a convenient, efficient,
and safe manner.

Tashi originally encompassed just the tools to manage virtual machines
using Xen and QEMU, but has been merged with Zoni, which manages the
physical aspects of a cluster like power control, network settings and
handing out physical machines.

Activities from October to December:

In the period from October to December, the project did not ask to make
another incubating release, but is ready to start the process for a new
release incorporating the development efforts of the last 6 months.

This period was dedicated to testing and performance testing of the system.
Minor updates to the code include adding support for sub-domains within
Tashi.
Also some bug fixes to the recently imported code from a collaborator.  Next
efforts will be to more tightly integrate the physical and virtual aspects
of
the system as well as create a front end UI.

The project has a user community, but it is small. Growth mostly has
happened by word of mouth. To show potential users at large the utility
of this project, the author of this report is creating web pages to
demonstrate how to accomplish distributed computing tasks. Base images
of (free) OS installs will be provided to allow new users to get started
quickly. Hopefully this will increase visibility of the project.

Items to be resolved before graduation:
* Generate more publicity for the project.
* Develop members of the user community to submit feature
  extensions.