incubator-triplesoup-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: testing stuff over HTTP
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:26:33 GMT
On Feb 19, 2007, at 3:42 PM, David Reid wrote:
>> Obviously we want to use SPARQL for all the data fetching, but we
>> also
>> need to put the stuff in there to fetch, otherwise how can we test
>> properly? :-)
>
> Well, how about having an sqllite database (single file) that we can
> populate and then store in SVN?

That could work...if you look at what others have mostly done for
tests, they're either storing RDF/XML or RDF/N3...which I can
understand, since the human-readable-ness is nice for diffs and the
like...maybe storing the sqldump would get us the same...in any case,
we should leech all those existing tests and use them if we can! :-)

> As for httpd, we could have a config file that set it up specifically
> for the tests, again stored in SVN. Part of the configure step
> could be
> to find the httpd executable (and check the version I guess). In fact
> mod_sparql currently uses apxs, so this will probably be required
> anyways.

yup. Fortunately, I've done that before:

     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/branches/Gump3/webgump/bin/
get-apache
     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/branches/Gump3/webgump/bin/
get-mod-python

better versions of those scripts:

     http://www.jicarilla.nl/dist/jicarilla-devenv/

even better of course:

     FreeBSD ports, but those don't always work well on windoze :-)

...I have to admit this has always been a bit of a hobby of mine...

> I'm trying to figure out an automated test for another project so will
> be watching with interest :-)

Ooh! Here's some stuff for inspiration:

   http://scons.tigris.org/source/browse/scons/trunk/
   http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/make/tests/?root=make
   http://aegis.sourceforge.net/
   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/core/trunk/bootstrap.sh?
revision=439448&view=markup

(build tools mostly always have nicely set up bootstrapping tests)

cheers,

- Leo