incubator-triplesoup-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: testing stuff over HTTP
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:30:05 GMT
On 2/19/07, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2007, at 3:42 PM, David Reid wrote:
> >> Obviously we want to use SPARQL for all the data fetching, but we
> >> also
> >> need to put the stuff in there to fetch, otherwise how can we test
> >> properly? :-)
> >
> > Well, how about having an sqllite database (single file) that we can
> > populate and then store in SVN?
>
> That could work...if you look at what others have mostly done for
> tests, they're either storing RDF/XML or RDF/N3...which I can
> understand, since the human-readable-ness is nice for diffs and the
> like...maybe storing the sqldump would get us the same...in any case,
> we should leech all those existing tests and use them if we can! :-)

I would worry about using a sqlite db simply because changes to the
tests would not show up as diffs in svn commits.  If you use a textual
format (perhaps sucked into sqlite to run the tests) it's a lot more
transparent and encourages more review of changes.

> > As for httpd, we could have a config file that set it up specifically
> > for the tests, again stored in SVN. Part of the configure step
> > could be
> > to find the httpd executable (and check the version I guess). In fact
> > mod_sparql currently uses apxs, so this will probably be required
> > anyways.

Are we just reinventing the Apache::Test wheel here?  The mod_perl
guys have had this solved in a rock-solid way for quite some time.  I
realize some people in the room are not the biggest fans of perl, but
Apache:Test is really really slick...

-garrett