incubator-triplesoup-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: testing stuff over HTTP
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:49:18 GMT
On 2/19/07, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > Are we just reinventing the Apache::Test wheel here?
>
> Hey, that sounds like fun, maybe we should! Though I'm rather
> confident Apache::Test doesn't have a RDF command language, and these
> few scripts I did certainly don't have load testing or other fancy
> features ;-)
>
> >   The mod_perl
> > guys have had this solved in a rock-solid way for quite some time.  I
> > realize some people in the room are not the biggest fans of perl, but
> > Apache:Test is really really slick...
>
> Regardless of the relative merits of perl, Apache::Test is not
> exactly userfriendly from where I'm sitting. I just spent over an
> hour and a half trying to learn about Apache::Test and I still don't
> even have a "hello, world!" equivalent running. Frustration! It fails
> my personal "simple things should be simple" test...
>
> it took me a lot less time to just write...
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/triplesoup/code/trunk/
> modules/pysoup/pysoup/client.py
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/triplesoup/code/trunk/
> tests/run.sh
>
> ...which seems to be roughly wherein the overlap with Apache::Test is
> contained.
>
> But of course I'm happy to see things done "properly"! If someone
> could help make it easy enough for me to write roughly things like
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/triplesoup/code/trunk/
> tests/01-basic-self-test/create-drop-load.tsql
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/triplesoup/code/trunk/
> tests/01-basic-self-test/foaf.n3
>
> in perl (or whatever; I haven't learned a lot of Lua just yet for
> example ;-)), I'll go and reinstall darwinports so that my perl is
> less broken and re-read that entire long boring ill-formatted out-
> dated Apache::Test manual.

The point of Apache::Test is that it handles all the configuration and
running of apache httpd, which gets more important when you're talking
about testing things like mod_sparql.  Check out the test setup for
mod_speedyfeed here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/speedyfeed/mod_speedyfeed/trunk/

Specifically, the contents of the t directory, TEST.PL is the main
driver program, and there's a few tests and some simple httpd config
glue that Apache::Test reads for you.  Plus a few actual test scripts,
of course.  See the check: and related targets in Makefile.in to see
how it's actually driven.

-garrett