incubator-triplesoup-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: why a new SELECT HTTP method?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:29:33 GMT
Hi Dan!

(What's www-archive@w3.org?)

On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:26 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> Somebody sent me a pointer to this Triple Soup project. Looks
> interesting
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TripleSoupProposal

Thanks for the support :-)

> The example suggests you're not using the standard SPARQL protocol
> but rather making up a SELECT verb for http. That means
> query results don't get a URI... just like PROPFIND in WEBDAV.
>
> Please let's not do that again...
>
> "WebDAV [RFC2518] uses a different HTTP method, PROPFIND (section 8.1
> PROPFIND), for querying properties of resources; unfortunately, this
> provides no URI for the results of these queries."
>  -- URIs, Addressability, and the use of HTTP GET and POST
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/whenToUseGet.html

Not to worry, David's code implements the standard SPARQL protocol I
think. At some point we simplified our proposal a great deal and I
changed the example to hopefully make it easier to understand at a
glance. Guess it was a bad decision...

...of course, I could probably write a looong email about why you
want a level of indirection in between and not actually use query
result URLs directly (the nature of an RDF system is not really a lot
like what web clients expect to find at a URL these days), but that's
probably out-of-scope here!

> The (in-progress) standard SPARQL protocol gives all the details
> for using GET for queries, or, if that's impractical, using POST.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-protocol/

I'm watching it, I'm sure others are :-)

- Leo