From Bill Dudney <bdud...@apache.org>
Subject [long but important] importing cvs history
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:31:29 GMT
Hi All,

We need to decide what we are going to do about getting the codehaus
CVS history into our apache SVN repo.

I would like this decided soon because I have several changes related
to getting to the next ActiveCluster version that I'd really like to
get checked in.

I see at least 2 options;

1) Leave the history on codehaus in a codehaus SVN repo (Bruce can
convert existing CVS to SVN fairly quickly from what I understand) -
conversion to SVN has to be done anyway because we have ongoing
development of the GPL/LGPL bits (JBoss & JGroups) to contend with.
Initally this would look something like this (summarized from a
discussion started Dec 17th);

Bruce:
CVS Head (including history if possible) -> SVN trunk @ codehaus -
branches and tags in CVS can be ignored unless there is some branch/
tag that was abandoned that Jules thinks we might want to go after
again. The branches and tags don't need to be left out, just do which
ever is easier.

Bill:
a) Tag the code as 'left for apache' or something like that.
b) From trunk remove all the code that was moved to apache and
rearrange and clean up pom's - this will leave behind only the jboss
& jgroups code

Something like this - your feedback is appreciated;

	trunk/
		jgroups
		jboss

Then from tags/left_for_apache we can get at the old code and all its
history, going forward only jboss & jgroups related code will be
developed @ codehaus.

2) Move the entire history of our code over to apache. From
discussion with Noel B. @ apachecon this is not standard operating
procedure but one of the emails we got from Geir made me think its no
big deal (Geir input appreciated). This route would be good because
it preserves all the history for us in one place.

However it does come with a couple of challenges;

a) We have changes in the SVN on apache to get us to AMQ 4.0-
SNAPSHOT, these changes are not huge but it was several code changes
and it would be a pain to go back and redo them.
b) The CVS history has GPL/LGPL related code in it (i.e. the JBoss &
JGroups stuff) so my guess is that we'd have to do some selective
pruning of the CVS history to make that happen. Perhaps we could do
something clever like move the whole history set over to svn, then
since I'll be moving everything around to get rid of the stuff me
moved to apache I could make 2 sets/branches/tags one with the stuff
we moved and one without. We could then move only the history of the
code that was moved. Bruce: I'm not sure how complex it is to get
history moved from one svn repo to another, any thoughts there?

Anyway thanks for sticking with me through this long email. Your
feedback and thoughts are, as always, welcome.

TTFN,

Bill Dudney
MyFaces - myfaces.apache.org
Wadi - incubator.apache.org/wadi