From Bill Dudney <bdud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [long but important] importing cvs history
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:45:54 GMT

On Dec 23, 2005, at 7:16 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Bill Dudney wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We need to decide what we are going to do about getting the
>> codehaus CVS history into our apache SVN repo.
>>
>> I would like this decided soon because I have several changes
>> related to getting to the next ActiveCluster version that I'd
>> really like to get checked in.
>>
>> I see at least 2 options;
>>
>> 1) Leave the history on codehaus in a codehaus SVN repo (Bruce can
>> convert existing CVS to SVN fairly quickly from what I understand)
>> - conversion to SVN has to be done anyway because we have ongoing
>> development of the GPL/LGPL bits (JBoss & JGroups) to contend
>> with. Initally this would look something like this (summarized
>> from a discussion started Dec 17th);
>>
>> Bruce:
>> CVS Head (including history if possible) -> SVN trunk @ codehaus -
>> branches and tags in CVS can be ignored unless there is some
>> branch/tag that was abandoned that Jules thinks we might want to
>> go after again. The branches and tags don't need to be left out,
>> just do which ever is easier.
>>
>> Bill:
>> a) Tag the code as 'left for apache' or something like that.
>> b) From trunk remove all the code that was moved to apache and
>> rearrange and clean up pom's - this will leave behind only the
>> jboss & jgroups code
>>
>> Something like this - your feedback is appreciated;
>
> How about just get the CVS tree and we import that?  We have the
> ability here at the ASF....

Not sure I follow, tar the CVS tree on codehaus, copy it over to ASF
then import from there?

That would be fine and is close to what I'm proposing below. However
it does have the complexities that there are LGPL/GPL dependencies in
the CVS tree that are not part of what is currently in SVN on apache,
we want to leave the LGPL/GPL related code on codehaus (i.e.
integration with JBoss & JGroups).

Thanks again,

-bd-