From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject WADI now needs runtime external Derby DB...
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:21:47 GMT
I have ported WADI to Derby.

This should ease the Geronimo integration.

To run WADI now, you need an external Derby DB up and running with a DB
called WADI created.

I achieved this thus:

download and unpack db-derby-10.1.1.0-bin
set DERBY_INSTALL to the Derby dir

run the server:
sh $DERBY_INSTALL/frameworks/NetworkServer/bin/startNetworkServer.ksh

run the cli:
export CLASSPATH=
. "$DERBY_INSTALL"/frameworks/embedded/bin/setEmbeddedCP.ksh
export
CLASSPATH=/home/jules/db-derby-10.1.1.0-bin/lib/derbyclient.jar:$CLASSPATH
sh /home/jules/db-derby-10.1.1.0-bin/frameworks/embedded/bin/ij.ksh
CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/WADI;create=true';

The WADI db dir should be created in the cwd of the server process.

You should find that you can now run a WADI node, e.g. 'red', create a
session on it, shut it down, start a different node, e.g. 'green', visit
it from the same browser instance and see your old session from 'red'
restored.

In a cluster, last one out turns off the lights (puts extant sessions
into db), first on in turns them back on again (makes them available to
the cluster). I realise that the last guy may get swamped with sessions
in a big cluster. What we need is evicters which only allow a set umber
of sessions in memory and start paging out older sessions as this number
is passed.

I have a couple more changes to make to completely remove compile-time
deps on Axion from the runtime, then we will look again at the Geronimo
integration.

If you still can't get all of this working after reading the
instructions above, let me know and we will work through it together.

Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner