From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Yoko version... (WAS: RE: Steps for hitting a Milestone release (WAS: RE: Milestone release))
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:48:17 GMT

David,

> I assume this is maven2 we're talking about...
>
> My understanding is that
>
> x.y.z-alphabetic
> precedes
> x.y.z
> which precedes
> x.y.z-numeric

Is this documented someplace?   I went thought most of the "mini guides" on
the maven website and didn't see anything which is why I raised the concern.
I'd rather not rely on undocumented behavior that just happens to do what we
want.   Then again, much of maven's behavior falls into that category.  :-(
(honestly, I LIKE maven, but sometimes, all you can do is just shake your
head and wonder.....)

> Thus 1.0-SNAPSHOT is before 1.0, and build 1 (1.0-1) is after 1.0.

SNAPSHOT's are special cases as you need to explicitly enable them.  My
understanding is the -SNAPHOST tail is treated completely special so that
they can be completely turned off, the release plugin can "flag" them, etc...

> >> My suggestion is to just play it safe and make sure the first
> >> "#.#" is there
> >> and is incremented in some fassion for each release.
> >
> > So, its sounds like going with your suggestion is a better idea.
> > i.e 0.1-incubating-M1
> >
> > Any objections to this change?
>
> If this contains pretty much the intended feature set for 1.0, I'd go
> with 1.0-incubating-M1.  If there's enormous missing functionality,
> 0.1-incubating-M1 seems more appropriate.  I was under the impression
> that the former was more accurate :-)

Ok, how about 0.9-incubating-M1?  :-)

--
J. Daniel Kulp