From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Yoko version... (WAS: RE: Steps for hitting a Milestone release (WAS: RE: Milestone release))
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:12:18 GMT

On Jun 12, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Sakala, Adinarayana wrote:

>> Thus, "1.0-incubating-M1" would be considered later than a
>> straight "1.0".
> Hmmm. thats not going to work.

I assume this is maven2 we're talking about...

My understanding is that

x.y.z-alphabetic
precedes
x.y.z
which precedes
x.y.z-numeric

Thus 1.0-SNAPSHOT is before 1.0, and build 1 (1.0-1) is after 1.0.

>> My suggestion is to just play it safe and make sure the first
>> "#.#" is there
>> and is incremented in some fassion for each release.
> So, its sounds like going with your suggestion is a better idea.
> i.e 0.1-incubating-M1
>
> Any objections to this change?

If this contains pretty much the intended feature set for 1.0, I'd go
with 1.0-incubating-M1.  If there's enormous missing functionality,
0.1-incubating-M1 seems more appropriate.  I was under the impression
that the former was more accurate :-)

thanks
david jencks