From Davide Giannella <dav...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Branching and releasing: frequency
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2019 14:59:29 GMT
Good afternoon team,

as we discussed in separate threads about strategies and version numbers
and we agreed in principles on the way forward we still have to address
one topic of the release: the frequency.

Was looking at what JDK does and merge it with our own experience.

JDK releases a new one every 6 months and on top there will be a quarter
release called "update release". We could see them as bugfix for us.

I personally think that such frequency is way too long and while gives
time to everyone to update to a new version is kind-of shifting us away
from the model of no-branch.

Probably by looking at the past I'm a bit thorn between a monthly or
every two months release. I'm slightly more in favour of the latter (2
months). I think it will be the right time for adoption and burden for
us in terms of release cutting.

Additionally we were never strict on timing and we always accommodated
shifts in both direction (early as well as late) to make room for what's
needed.

Any thoughts on the above?

Davide