From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Branching and release: version numbers
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 12:08:42 GMT
Hi Davide,

On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 09:48 +0000, Davide Giannella wrote:
> Now let's say we have to branch at 1.26 time we would create a branch
> `svn/.../branches/1.26` that will produce thereafter 1.26.0, 1.26.1,
> etc.
>
> Trunk will become: 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, etc.

It all sounds reasonable to me. One comment regarding your example -
branching does not necessarily force to increase the major component of
the version.

>From your initial email, one use case for having maintenance branches
is to support incompatible changes in the JVM.

Asumming that with 1.26 we want to end Java 19 support, then the next
Oak release could be 1.28, as we did not previously treat such changes
as 'breaking'.

Thanks,

Robert