jakarta-bcel-dev mailing list archives

From Dale E Martin <dmar...@cliftonlabs.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with Repository class.
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:28:26 GMT
> Interfaces are surely a nice abstraction. However, the split between
> JavaClass and ClassGen was a deliberate design decision. They have
> of course some things in common, but quite different intentions and
> semantics. I wouldn't say that's an ideal solution, I just wonder
> how much "design space" there is for different implementations, since
> everything is limited by the JVM spec. And you can still subclass
> of course.

It wouldn't have to be that they only contain a single interface.  It seems
to me that they should have common interface elements; all I'm saying is
that those could be tied together with a Java interface.  The elements that
aren't common could come from separate interfaces, or they could be parts
of the specific classes implementing the interface.  I only bring this up
because I found the total separation between these classes to be highly
confusing as I started using BCEL, and it felt artificial to me.  You're
more in a position than I to know what is really common and what isn't
though - I'm not trying to make a strong argument here, just a suggestion
based on my own experience.

Take care,
     Dale
--