jakarta-bcel-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: Brakes
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:11:02 GMT
Dear Brakes team,
Dear Eddy,

thanks for your kind response! I am glad you like the idea of
putting the Brakes sources into a public CVS. Please let me
know as soon as you can make an official statement.

So if we want to resurrect this project I see two options:

1) AS APACHE SUBPROJECT

It's the question if there is a community that might want to
cover Brakes as a subproject. I personally think Brakes would fit
the BCEL project [1] much better than Cocoon [2]. But it's up to
them to accept a possible donation. Still this might be the
easiest way to gather attention and a community around it.
We would have to go through incubation [3] ...but this should
not be your problem

3) AS SOURCEFORGE PROJECT

We could create a sourceforge project and just start development
over there.

Of course the re-licensing of the code under the Academic Free
Software license should be enough for e.g. a sourceforge project.
But AFAIK in order to put the sources into the Apache CVS they
ought to be under Apache license. An official donation has to be
made. This is a common Apache practice to avoid any copyright
troubles.

As for the limitations of Brakes: I think there is of course
some room for improvements but Brakes is a good starting point!
I personally don't know about any official plans to extend the
JVM but maybe we could (at least) try to trigger this, too.
Although this might take ages to take off. Until that Brakes
might do a good job.

Anyway please let me know what you think

Best regards
--
Torsten

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/bcel/