jakarta-bsf-user mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: How can I debug my script code?
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:23:52 GMT
Hi Linda,

just copying and trying to answer your question via the bsf-user-list.

------------------ cut here ------------------
Hi Rony,

Sorry to bother you with personal email. I tried twice to reply to your
message on the bsf-user maillist, but all failed.

Here is my original message sent to the list:

/////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you for your reply, Rony.

The logging approach could help, but does that just like putting
System.out.println in the java code? I mean the programmer need to write
code
into the original scripting program. Is there any way we can debug
like jdb (use command line)  or Eclipse (use IDE) to
debug/step-in/step-over ? So user can debug the script by setting
breakpoint and view all the varialbes, methods in the script
scope without change the original script
program? Because my script could be complicate, I would like it only have
the code for business logic, not the logging code.

This is very understandable, yet there is no such infrastructure
available for BSF (there was at one point in time an effort to supply a
generic debugging capability, but that was forgone for commons-logging).

It would be practically impossible to come up with one integrated
debugging environment which would be able to do what you seek for all
BSF engines there are. Maybe you can take advantage of the debugging
capabilities that come with the scripting language of your choice?

HTH a bit,

---rony