jakarta-bsf-user mailing list archives

From Daling Xu <daling...@yahoo.com>
Subject Any open source or comercial javascript engine other than Rhino
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:13:16 GMT
Hi,

  Because of the concern on the Rhino's GPL license. We would like to find some LGPL or comercial
javascript engine supported by BSF.

  So far, I found only one which is FESI. But it looks pretty old.

  Anybody here used any javascript engine other than Rhino?

Thanks

  Linda

"Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatscher@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:
  Hi Linda,

Daling Xu wrote:
> I continued to drill down on this issue. From reading of the BSF source code, I found
that the "bsf" object that was put into the javascript global context is actually a object
of BSFFunctions object which only contains a subset of BSFManager methods. The BSFFunctions
doesn't have a getObjectRegistry method.

> This explains the reason of the exception I ran into.
>
> Now my question is
> (1) Why BSFFunctions doesn't support the getObjectRegistry method?

Don't really know what the developers had in mind here.

> (2) How can I retrieve the bean objects from the ObjectRegiestry inside the script code?

You can't. The real reason is with the original authors, maybe Sanjiva,
if he reads this, could shed some light on this.

However there may be one (good) reason: security. One never can be sure
who writes which scripts. So for security reasons it makes sense to give
no one the ability to figure out what the ObjectRegistry holds. The Java
hosts (Java programs that dispatch scripts via BSF) would know what they
put into the registry for the scripts to interact/work with, so for the
scripts that would not really be a shortcoming. In the case that one
needs to make a collection of Java objects available to the scripts,
then one is able to register a collection object for the script.

HTH,

---rony

P.S.: The nice thing about FOSS is that in the case that you really hit
a barrier you do not want to cope with, that you can go back to the
sources and enhance/change/tailor the code to your needs.