jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@collab.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine-jcs/src/experimental/org/apache/jcs/engine/memory/lru LHMLRUMemoryCache.java
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:37:21 GMT
Aaron Smuts wrote:
> I have it in the experimental for now since it requires jdk1.4.
>
> I'm not sure what the standard jdk for projects is.

Aaron, the ASF doesn't have a "standard" JDK per say.  It's up to each
individual project to define that for itself.  Most projects support the
earliest version of JDK reasonable for the functionality they provide, go with a
runtime dependency upon JRE 1.2 (I think that Ant is the only one still
supporting JRE 1.1), with a variable compile-time dependency on JDK version.
For instance, some classes in a project may require JDK 1.4 at compile-time, but
examine what's available at runtime and fall back to an alternate implementation
(e.g. JDK LinkedHashMap vs. Jakarta Commons SequencedHashMap).

I recommend against a hard runtime dependency upon JRE 1.4, for as much as we'd
like to believe otherwise, there is a lot of production code out there which is
written for and/or tested against older JREs which are unlikely to be upgraded
any time soon.  1.2 is preferable, or 1.3 if it's too much trouble to swing that.

> Travis has a way to either use this if you are running 1.4 or to fall
> back to a commons package.  I need to make sure that fallback is ok or
> find another.

Yup, +1.

> I need more tests on how this LinkedHashMap performs.  Travis is right
> that it makes the coed much cleaner, or at least there is less of us
> this way.
>
> One very small problem is that there is no way to do a quiet get with
> the LinkedHashMap.

- Dan