jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <aasm...@wisc.edu>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine-jcs/src/java/org/apache/jcs/auxiliary/lateral/javagroups/behavior ILateralCacheJGListener.java ILateralCacheJGAttributes.java IJGConstants.java
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 05:31:24 GMT
I'm not sure how unused imports in loaded classes behave at runtime, but
the way the auxiliary build javagroups is implemented, given the way the
cache loads auxiliaries, if the user doesn't use javagroups they don't
need the jar.  The way I currently have it, this may not be the case,
but my implementation looks inferior on several accounts.

The only reason they'd need the javagroups jar would be to build the
project.

Keeping everything in one jar makes it easier for users.  They don't
have to pick and add extra jcs jars to use features, just add the
external.

I'm still thinking about it, but given the way we load auxiliaries by
name, there doesn't seem to be a big problem in putting things like this
in the main codebase.
--------------------------
on a side note:

I'm more concerned about javagroups performance.  The configuration has
so many lightly documented features it gets confusing.   . . .

I need a solution where multiple (local caches in) servers on the same
mainframe can be cloned--created by the os automatically and somewhat
unpredictably, using the same configuration files.  None of the other
auxiliaries allows me to do this.  . . .  This looks like the best
solution for caching on websphere running on z/os.  If anyone has dealt
with a similar environment, I'd like to hear suggestions.  Javagroups
looks like the best solution if threads behave properly in such an
environment. . . .

Aaron

It