jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Can the Transient cache store non Serializable objects.
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 13:04:29 GMT
Hi:

We are testing at Cocoon JCS. The actual tests are running well. But we
have a question:

Is posible to store in the Transient cache non-Serializable objects? We
noted that o.a.jcs.access.CacheAccess.put() serialize the content of the
Object. We needed to change an Object to allow it work with JCS:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-cvs&m=108479287011928&w=2

But now we have a problem:

The class in question contains:

1)    private Logger logger; /* from AbstractLogEnabled */
2)    private SourceResolver resolver;
3)    private String systemId;
4)    protected Map namespaceURIs = new HashMap();
5)    private ServiceManager manager;

While 3 and 4 are Serializable, the rest is not. Now, please explain how
fields 1, 2, and 5 will be de-serialized. We know the default Java
behavior in this scenario is: they will be null. Next, imaging how those
XSP pages we are testing will work when 1,2, and 5 are null.

This problem is crucial for us. Please explain about that.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo