jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Store surviving a shutdown
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 07:46:03 GMT
Hello, another Cocooner popping in for a visit!

In our explorations of JCS, one thing I believe that was said about it
is that the store doesn't persist through a shutdown.

Now, the current (slightly buggy) implemention within Cocoon does. Is
there any way to make it persists through a restart, or to make it
configurable?

The main usecase for Cocoon is running within a servlet, where arguably
surviving a shutdown isn't crucial. However, Cocoon can be used from the
command line to statically generate web sites. For this, a working
persistent cache that survives shutdown can be invaluable. Each time you
run it, it can check to see whether a page in the cache is up-to-date,
and if so, not bother generating the page. This should be able to offer
a great performance improvement (but didn't because our previous
implementation of a persistent store was slow). So you'd make me a happy
man if you gave me a responsive persistent store that could survive a
shutdown.

Regards, Upayavira