jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Official jcs release?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 05:45:53 GMT
Okay, more info.

Sleepycat's BDB JE licence is not usable for the ASF, its 3rd clause
makes it viral:

" * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
 *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
 *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
 *    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
 *    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
 *    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.  For an
 *    executable file, complete source code means the source code for all
 *    modules it contains.  It does not include source code for modules or
 *    files that typically accompany the major components of the operating
 *    system on which the executable file runs."

The ASF is about not putting those kinds of conditions on the
downstream users. In effect, it's the same problem as GPL. So can we
please kill the bdbje package as soon as possible. It came up over at
directory.apache.org a few months ago:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-dev/200507.mbox/%3c42E28997.6060003@bellsouth.net%3e

More to come on the LGPL one in a week or two.

Hen