jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From "Schwarz, Peter" <peter.schw...@objectfx.com>
Subject High Data Volume Issues
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:49:14 GMT
We are evaluating your caching library for a high read/really large cache
situation (on the order of 100GB).  We've come across several issues that
we'd like to discuss further with you before we proceed with patching the
source on our end.

The first issue is pretty small (from a code change perspective) but effects
the number of writes to the disk.  After loading the objects to the cache (2
million 16K objects in our tests), we proceed to read them back (mostly for
performance metrics - read/write times, small cache vs large cache, etc).
What we found was that for simple reads (no modification of the objects) the
disk time was doubled due to writes of the elements falling off memory
cache.  These elements are being spooled back to disk.  There's no need for
these to go back to disk, since they are unmodified and already on disk in
the first place.

The second issue is with the file optimization.  The method that you are
using doubles the disk space needed for the cache. Given that were talking
about a 100 gig cache file, this is pretty expensive.  Secondly, it seems to
be pretty memory intensive as well.  Our tests seem to run out of memory
during the optimization process, running at 512 for max heap size
(admittedly this seems a bit small given our data requirements but the
writing and reading process is fine).  It seems like this could be done a
little more efficiently.

I'm planning on opening bugs in Jira on these issues, as well, just get them
in your system.  I would like to start a dialog first, given that our usage
pattern is for very high volume data caches.

Thanks,

Peter Schwarz
ObjectFX, Inc