jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Working towards a formal jcs release...
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:03:25 GMT
For a while now we have been planning on producing a formal jcs release,
but for one reason or another we haven't quite made it there yet.

To produce a formal release there are a number of things we need to do.
I am thinking along the lines of (please feel free to jump in and modify
this if you fell I have missed anything):

    * We need to review the license headers to bring ourselves into line
      with http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html  The biggest
      change here is that we need to update the headers on all of the
      source files.  I think Henning has a script that can be used to do
      this - Henning would you be able to provide this script or if it
      is easier, run it and commit the updated headers.  I imagine there
      will be a few things that the script does not handle, so a bit of
      a review will be necessary after the headers have been updated.
    * Some tidying up of the build environment would I think help others
      to participate.  I am not sure what you are using to produce
      builds - I am certainly running into problems using maven 1:
          o Dependencies - There are a bunch of the dependencies that
            could be up dated to more recent versions:
                + commons-collections-3.1 (3.2?)
                + commons-configuration-1.2 (1.3?)
                + commons-logging-1.0.4
                + commons-lang-2.1
                + commons-dbcp-1.2.1
                + log4j-1.2.12
                + others that I am not so familiar with:
                      # concurrent (1.3.4?)
                      # mysql-connector-java
                      # hsqldb
                      # tomcat-util
                      # xmlrpc
                      # jgroups (can this be removed now?)
          o I found that I had to trigger the copyjars goal or some of
            the tests would experience compilation errors
          o There are a bunch of tests that result in failures and
            errors - is there perhaps some configuration you have
            locally that needs to be committed for the tests to work for
            others?

    [junit] [ERROR] TEST
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.hsql.HSQLDiskCacheConcurrentUnitTest
FAILED
    [junit] Running
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.hsql.HSQLDiskCacheUnitTest
    [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 15.234 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.hsql.HSQLDiskCacheUnitTest FAILED
    [junit] Running
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheRemovalUnitTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0.766 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheRemovalUnitTest FAILED
    [junit] Running
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest
    [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 3, Time elapsed: 1.109 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest FAILED
    [junit] Running org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0.797 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest FAILED
    [junit] Running
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.mysql.MySQLDiskCacheHsqlBackedUnitTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0.766 sec
    [junit] [ERROR] TEST
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.mysql.MySQLDiskCacheHsqlBackedUnitTest
FAILED

    * Lastly, I think it would be a good idea to put together at least a
      basic maven 2 pom to help those of us that have moved over to that
      for our own applications.

If we can sort out the items listed above we should then be in a
position to build a release (binary and source distributions and site)
upon which we can hold a formal vote - this would be deployed to
people.apache.org/~oneofus so that we can all see the full body of work
we are voting on.  Following a positive vote we would copy this over to
the main site and deploy the release files to the mirroring system.

Arron: What can we do (that's you, me and anyone else willing to pitch
in) to get this happening?  I'll drop Henning a note to gain access to
the header update script.  I also have a patch to the project.xml file
that corrects a bunch of the dependency descriptors and brings many of
their versions forward - I will post this shortly for comment before
commit.  Would you be able to provide some insight to the test failures
and errors as the next step?

Thanks,

Scott