jakarta-jcs-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Working towards a formal jcs release...
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:08:33 GMT
Scott Eade <seade@backstagetech.com.au> writes:

Hi,

thank you, Scott for picking up the ball. I have already mentioned on
the last Jakarta board report, that I am willing to help JCS to get a
release out.

>For a while now we have been planning on producing a formal jcs release,
>but for one reason or another we haven't quite made it there yet.

>To produce a formal release there are a number of things we need to do.
>I am thinking along the lines of (please feel free to jump in and modify
>this if you fell I have missed anything):

>    * We need to review the license headers to bring ourselves into line
>      with http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html  The biggest
>      change here is that we need to update the headers on all of the
>      source files.  I think Henning has a script that can be used to do
>      this - Henning would you be able to provide this script or if it
>      is easier, run it and commit the updated headers.  I imagine there
>      will be a few things that the script does not handle, so a bit of
>      a review will be necessary after the headers have been updated.

Sure. Just ping me and point at the SVN tree which I should tackle. :-)

>    * Some tidying up of the build environment would I think help others
>      to participate.  I am not sure what you are using to produce
>      builds - I am certainly running into problems using maven 1:
>          o Dependencies - There are a bunch of the dependencies that
>            could be up dated to more recent versions:
>                + commons-collections-3.1 (3.2?)
>                + commons-configuration-1.2 (1.3?)
>                + commons-logging-1.0.4
>                + commons-lang-2.1
>                + commons-dbcp-1.2.1
>                + log4j-1.2.12
>                + others that I am not so familiar with:
>                      # concurrent (1.3.4?)

Is that the oswego stuff? So that is probably optional for 1.5/1.6 (uhh, when did javax.concurrent
appear in the JDK?).

>                      # mysql-connector-java

Licensing issues have been resolved, AFAIK, haven't they?

[...]

>    * Lastly, I think it would be a good idea to put together at least a
>      basic maven 2 pom to help those of us that have moved over to that
>      for our own applications.

+1. There is actually even an "Apache Parent POM" which is even
documented somewhere, which makes it not too hard to do so.

>If we can sort out the items listed above we should then be in a
>position to build a release (binary and source distributions and site)
>upon which we can hold a formal vote - this would be deployed to
>people.apache.org/~oneofus so that we can all see the full body of work
>we are voting on.  Following a positive vote we would copy this over to
>the main site and deploy the release files to the mirroring system.

+1.

>Arron: What can we do (that's you, me and anyone else willing to pitch
>in) to get this happening?  I'll drop Henning a note to gain access to
>the header update script.  I also have a patch to the project.xml file
>that corrects a bunch of the dependency descriptors and brings many of
>their versions forward - I will post this shortly for comment before
>commit.  Would you be able to provide some insight to the test failures
>and errors as the next step?

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."