jakarta-oro-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Getting up to speed
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:12:51 GMT

>May I ask what is the topic of this book ? any relation with regex ?

None whatsoever :)  It's on writing network applications for Palm OS.

>I'm on the list for about a week and only got 1 message: yours.
>There's about the same traffic on the other regex package.

I'll try to update my web site this weekend and post an announcment to
USENET to start driving traffic here instead of to support and info
@oroinc.com.  I'll also try to put together that list I promised.

>What do you think about the example ? Assuming you're not familiar with
>Perl, I think the example are kind of light to get you started in regex and
>the package use.

You're absolutely right.  The examples could use some work.  Maybe some
enthusiastic users could take this on and maybe put together a tutorial.

>Apart from that, I'm in the process of writing a small gui for a regex
>tester.
>I have found no real regex-tester that would be cool enough to use at this
>time.
>This is of course personal and my company has nothing to do with it, since
>I'm doing it during my (rare) free time, it will maybe take some time.
>Opinions on this ?

If you can incorporate an automated regression testing system, this would
be very valuable.  From version to version we want to make sure the regex
behavior remains constant except for those things that we specifically
have changed to track Perl.  It's hard to verify or have a reasonable
level of confidence without some kind of test battery.

daniel