jakarta-oro-user mailing list archives

From Jan Kroken <ja...@ifi.uio.no>
Subject OROMatcher-1.1 source?
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 08:55:05 GMT

I'm working for a company which have used OROMatcher for a long time.
Currently we have about 1000 regular expressions with an average length
of about 1000 characters. They use the Perl5StreamInput, and are run in
threads. Unfortunately they doesn't always terminate. Sometimes they
find all the matches, read until the end of the stream, and then they
just continue to spend CPU on nothing forever (we've tested up to 70 hours).
This is running on high traffic production servers, and the thread leak
is a serious problem.

We now have other parsing methods, but unfortunately we don't have resources
to rewrite the existing code. So what I think is the only solution is to
rewrite the OROMatcher to always terminate in reasonable time (for example
by rewriting infinite loops to finite loops, or otherwise detecting that
the matching process will be time consuming and just terminate). I looked
forward to do that with the open source library, but everything connected
to streamed input has been removed.

Therefore, I wonder if it would be possible to get the source code for the
1.1 version of OROMatcher. We would of course contribute all patches done.

--
                                                     -jk