jakarta-oro-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Can't search InputStreams in jakarta-oro-2.0.5?
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:47:16 GMT

In message <D913221A882FD31198D90008C75D6909065D699D@cwnl-ams-pri01.nl.compuwar
e.com>, "Hondros, Constantine" writes:
>Does this mean that in jakarta-oro-2.0.5 in order to search a file with
>Perl5 syntax, I have to read that file into a String first?

Preferably a character array, but yes, Perl5StreamInput was removed.
See the CHANGES file (look for Perl5StreamInput for a brief explanation
and pointer to a more detailed reference).  In practice, most Perl
regular expressions will result in the entire input being consumed
anyway before a backtracking decision can be made anyway.  After
J2SDK 1.4 becomes common, it may make sense to work with CharSequences,
but that will depend on the java.nio stuff really being efficient in
terms of both speed and memory use in its I/O buffering as well as
HotSpot actually inlining calls to charAt() at runtime.  If you really
need the convenience of searching a stream, try the awk package which
still retains AwkReader because AwkMatcher never backtracks.

daniel