From Jason Hunter <jhun...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Testing SRV 4.7 (SSL Attributes)
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:59:30 GMT
Thanks for the fast response, Ryan.

Here's how I read the spec.  Simple servlet containers (outside J2EE)
aren't required to support SSL/HTTPS.  However *if a container does
choose to support SSL/HTTPS* then they're required to expose those
attributes.

Per SRV.4.7: "If a request has been transmitted over a secure protocol,
such as HTTPS, this information must be exposed via the isSecure method
of the ServletRequest interface. The web container must expose the
following attributes to the servlet programmer: ..."

So the rule for implementors is either (a) don't do SSL or (b) do it
correctly.  I don't think it's appropriate to assume that since
something is optional then we shouldn't test that when present the item
behaves as it should.

In fact, I think it's entirely within Watchdog's (and the TCK's) current
goals to ensure that the spec is followed.  Otherwise anything optional
in a JSR is unlikely to work when present.

Here's pseudocode:

1) Try to connect using HTTPS
2) If fails, return OK
3) If succeeds, check attributes
4) If attributes correct, return OK
5) If attributes incorrect, return FAIL

In reality the it may need to be the docs that say, "If you support
HTTPS then run this test to make sure you support it fully" in order to
satisfy lines 1 and 2.

Thoughts, Ryan?

-jh-