james-general mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Licensing compliance
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:05:22 GMT
I'd like to do a brief review of non-ASF licensed code we're including
in CVS and distributing as part of James.  This was prompted from some
discussion about LGPL and other license compatibility.  Little has been
dictated and pushed out yet, but just to be sure of what we have right
now...

We have the following categories of dependencies:
1. Code from Sun.
Javamail, JAF... what else?  This *should* be ok to distribute, and if
not, Apache can threaten Sun again, and they'll cave. :)  Not too
worried about this, unless we're using some more obscure jars.
2. LGPL
Apache has always been leery about distributing with LGPL, partially
because it's so poorly worded for Java code, partially because it's two
competing licensing styles.  For a couple of years it was becoming less
frowned upon to distribute the two, but today an Apache Board member
recently said you SHOULD NOT distribute without permission.
- DNSjava (from xbill) - I have received permission for (in the past.)
- Geo-ip - I have received permission for (in the past.)
- MySQL JDBC driver - can someone speak to having received permission?
Anything else?
3. GPL
This is explicitly forbidden from distribution.
4. BSD/Apache style licensing
This is good.
5. Commercial 3rd party
This is bad.

Here are the ones I quickly noted that I'm not sure of:
- lib/junit.jar
- phoenix-bin/isorelax.jar
- phoenix-bin/jing.jar
- phoenix-bin/xml-apis.jar

There might be others... if anybody can speak for these licenses and
permissions we've received, that'd be great.

--
Serge Knystautas
President