james-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Action items now or after board meeting?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:10:49 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Sam,
>
> We've been discussing the jar licensing, and want to check: do we have an
> action item TODAY, or do we wait for the board meeting to provide formal
> guidance?

If I am correct in presuming that you are looking over James's assets,
then you have no action item from me at this point.  I'm asking every
Jakarta PMC member to do a review of the assets that they are involved
with for license compliance.

I would like to be able to report that this is complete at the next
board meeting.

> At the moment, I am told that we have permissions for dnsjava and mm.mysql
> from their authors, as well as geo-ip from that author.  The other jars are
> JavaMail and JAF.

Both Dnsjava and mm.mysql are licensed under GPL or LGPL.  I would
strongly recommend that you get the author to provide an alternate
license.  The author might be delighted to have us redistribute his
code, but people who use ASF software might not be so appreciative of this.

As to JavaMail and JAF, the license is clear: you can distribute only
bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs.

> Dion Gillard also believes that a copy of the ASF License file needs to be
> in every directory of the CVS within which is located a jar, unless the jar
> has the ASL embedded in it.

I agree.  I note that cocoon has chosen to put the licenses in a
separate directory.  That works too.  The layout is not the important
thing, but complying with the terms of the license is.

> Please advise.  Thanks.  :-)
>
> 	--- Noel
>
> P.S.  Since I know that this subject is bound to annoy people, I want to get
> Dion out of the firing line; people should know that he and the rest of the
> Maven team were asked to do the audits.

The Maven team was asked to audit themselves and the resources they
provide to others.

- Sam Ruby