james-general mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Licensing compliance
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:53:01 GMT

> - DNSjava (from xbill) - I have received permission for (in the past.)
> - Geo-ip - I have received permission for (in the past.)
> - MySQL JDBC driver - can someone speak to having received permission?

Yes I have personally spoken with copyright holder Mark Mathews, when this question arose
last year, who assured me that our use of his product is exactly the kind of use he intended
for it.

> Anything else?
> 3. GPL
> This is explicitly forbidden from distribution.

Not AFAIK

> 4. BSD/Apache style licensing
> This is good.

Not AFAIK unless we should be accounting for other Apache IPR. :-/

> 5. Commercial 3rd party
> This is bad.

Not AFAIK

> Here are the ones I quickly noted that I'm not sure of:
> - lib/junit.jar

IBM CPL, looks like BSD style, but *obviously* we need confirmation. FWIW JUNIT is *not* bundled
with the JUNIT test runner in IBM's eclipse,  which I suspect may be a licence related issue
as ANT, TOMCAT and other apache software is included.

> - phoenix-bin/isorelax.jar
> - phoenix-bin/jing.jar
> - phoenix-bin/xml-apis.jar
>
> There might be others... if anybody can speak for these licenses and
> permissions we've received, that'd be great.

I don't know about these three.