james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Licensing compliance
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:30:45 GMT
Serge,

Most of the JavaMail service providers are LGPL; Alex's is actually GPL, but
he has said that he wants to work with us.  We will have to ask for them in
ASF license.  MySQL says LGPL, and the new one is worse: GPL.  Danny was
pursuing that one.

If JavaMail and JAF become problems, hopefully we can get replacements from
the Classpath folks.

Alternatively, this will force a very rapid conversion of our build and
distribution process to use Maven, so that we can distribute without those
jars, and have the user add them.

We'll have to e-mail Avalon's PMC (pmc@avalon.apache.org?) to ask them if
they have the right licenses for their bundled parts, including the wrapper
code (MIT license, I believe).

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 18:05
To: general@james.apache.org
Subject: Licensing compliance

I'd like to do a brief review of non-ASF licensed code we're including
in CVS and distributing as part of James.  This was prompted from some
discussion about LGPL and other license compatibility.  Little has been
dictated and pushed out yet, but just to be sure of what we have right
now...

We have the following categories of dependencies:
1. Code from Sun.
Javamail, JAF... what else?  This *should* be ok to distribute, and if
not, Apache can threaten Sun again, and they'll cave. :)  Not too
worried about this, unless we're using some more obscure jars.
2. LGPL
Apache has always been leery about distributing with LGPL, partially
because it's so poorly worded for Java code, partially because it's two
competing licensing styles.  For a couple of years it was becoming less
frowned upon to distribute the two, but today an Apache Board member
recently said you SHOULD NOT distribute without permission.
- DNSjava (from xbill) - I have received permission for (in the past.)
- Geo-ip - I have received permission for (in the past.)
- MySQL JDBC driver - can someone speak to having received permission?
Anything else?
3. GPL
This is explicitly forbidden from distribution.
4. BSD/Apache style licensing
This is good.
5. Commercial 3rd party
This is bad.

Here are the ones I quickly noted that I'm not sure of:
- lib/junit.jar
- phoenix-bin/isorelax.jar
- phoenix-bin/jing.jar
- phoenix-bin/xml-apis.jar

There might be others... if anybody can speak for these licenses and
permissions we've received, that'd be great.

--
Serge Knystautas
President