james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Attachments broken?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:36:03 GMT
Brian,

Thanks for the info.  I'm not particularly familar with qmail or ezmlm.
This will help us to tell our users what they need to do.  For example, a
.diff file might be stripped as an Excel file, but a .txt ought to come
through.  A .tar will be stripped, but a .tar.gz apparently won't be
stripped, nor will a .zip.

I'm forwarding this message to our general@ list.  Danny and Serge will
probably want to provide their input.  My only concern was that people
submitting attachments were having them lost, and without the list it wasn't
clear why some were getting through and others weren't.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Behlendorf [mailto:brian@collab.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 16:20
To: Noel J. Bergman
Cc: infrastructure@apache.org
Subject: RE: Attachments broken?

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > On Jakarta I always removed text/html (as several people were
> > sending HTML email and it was bugging the XXX out of a
> > lot of others)...
>
> Does qmail not understand the difference between alternate body parts and
> attachments?  It ought to be able to distinguish between a multipart
> alternate that has an HTML body and a multipart mixed that has an HTML
> attachment vs an HTML body.

from "man ezmlm-make":

       -x   eXtra.  ezmlm-make will configure the list with a few
            extras:  dir/mimeremove  will  be configured to strip
            annoying mime parts such as excel  spreadsheets,  rtf
            text,  html text etc from the messages. Messages con-
            sisting solely of this Content-type will be rejected.
            See  ezmlm-send(1) and ezmlm-reject(1) for more info.

> In any event, we certainly don't need executable attachments, scripts,
etc.,
> but we do want normal things like text types and archive types to allow
> patches to be sent.

Here is the standard list of mime types that ezmlm sets up to be removed
from messages when the -x option is set up.  Please send me back
(privately, perhaps) the list of mime types you want me to put in the
"mimeremove" file, and which ones you want in the "mimereject" file.

application/excel
application/rtf
application/msword
application/ms-tnef