james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Sieve needs a home!
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:46:56 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Danny Angus wrote:
> > Agreed, I've been lurking on at least one list where this is
> > happening and> it looks like it is reasonably straightforward.
> > +1 to sieve sub-project championed by serge.
> > with this caveat... We should not restrict cvs access as in
> >  Jakarta, but must have a single james-wide karma.

> +0.

I think I'm +0 as well, on the following grounds: a new Committer might get
karma for a specific area, if we found that to be any sort of useful thing,
but we should be more aggressive about getting Committers onto the PMC, and
once there they have (and are expected to use as normal) karma for all
modules.

> it troubles me that there's uncertain about how to absorp this
> IP (legally).  I don't think the ASF community is doing enough
> to publicize these IP rules and procedures.

We're working on it.  Unlike MerlinDeveloper, Ruper or Axion, to pick three
recent examples, JSieve was written exclusively (and in this case singly)
under the ASF CLA for the purpose of being a James project.

However, although I don't believe that there really is any reason for it to
go into the Incubator, since I am on both PMCs, and since we (the Incubator
PMC) have been pushing at other projects to bring imported codebases into
the Incubator, I don't want to create the impression that JSieve gets to
slip by because it is *our* ox being gored.  Hence, I forwarded the message
to the Incubator PMC for comment.

> for the first time felt sympathy for Howard and the Jakarta PMC about
> Hivemind, since what I thought was widely known clearly isn't.

Hivemind is a totally unrelated situation.  Hivemind was developed Howard
under his CLA, all within the Apache CVS.  The problem with Hivemind is that
Howard did not know that by being paid by his employer to work on Hivemind,
he had given up rights to the code, and was therefore unable to contribute
the code.  We should make sure that all Committters are aware of
work-for-hire issues.  Which brings us to ...

> > I believe that this ought to be discussed on general@ as it is largely
> > irrelevant to server-dev.

> Done.

Don't you think that we should make sure that our Committers know that they
should be subscribed here?  :-)  I don't believe that either Jason or Steve
are subscribed here, although everyone else appeared to be subscribed at a
quick glance.  CC'ing them, and suggesting that they subscribe.

	--- Noel