james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Status of James
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:21:52 GMT
> We've had discussions about architecture and specific technical
> decisions we need to make, and we're holding back from too many
> commits while Noel manages the merge of the v2 support branch
> and the HEAD of cvs.

We'll discuss on -dev, but here is a proposed Roadmap:

  - James 2.2.0a16 goes out today based upon current CVS
  - James 2.2.0a16 becomes James 2.2.0 if there are no
    problems.  If there are, we fix them and only them.
  - James 3.0 is James 2.2.0 merged into MAIN.

I have changes that need to commit to reduce footprint.  In the interests of
getting 2.2.0 out, I'll commit them after 2.2.0.  Depending upon whether
they are source identical to 2.x and 3.x, and how stable 3.x is, we might
issue a 2.3, otherwise we'll start releasing 3.x.  But they are important
changes for everyone who deals with large messages, even though I would not
want to hold 2.2.0 further.

One good thing about people clamoring for 2.2 is that we have been asking
for testing ever since the first 2.2aX went out, and have had relatively
little feedback.  Hopefully a lot of people will test a16, so that we can
find and iron out any little issues.

	--- Noel