james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Support for MDN MIME content types?
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:46:10 GMT
> org.apache.james.javamail is OK for now, unless we want to
> setup a org.apache.javamail for generic JavaMail extensions?
> I don't believe that we want to use org.apache.mail, which
> was the original package name for James, for JavaMail specific code.

> first, why don't we want to use org.apache.mail?

Semi-selfish reasons.  ;-)  As I said, these classes are specific to
JavaMail.  I can see that we may work on non-JavaMail based code, unless
JavaMail is modified.  So I was thinking that the generic mail package might
be a good place for that work, and didn't want to pollute the namespace with
JavaMail-specific code.

> second org.apache.javamail may conflict with geronimo

Actually, we've informally been asked if we would like to take the JavaMail
packages from Geronimo.  There is no development happening with them there,
and they don't want to host them if we would.

> I'd be tempted to use org.apache.javamail.implementation [...]

Is the "implementation" qualifier necessary?  If we were going to do an
alternative implementation, for example, we'd be using the javax.mail
namespace.

> [...] to make it clear that this package is an apache implementation
> of the javamail spec

It seems to me that they would be Apache classes that extend JavaMail (or
implement the SPI), in similar fashion to com.sun.mail.*.

	--- Noel