james-general mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: Plans for a point release?
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:22:02 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > Are there any plans for a point release of James 2.2.x?
>
> I am making very good progress on the code merger, and working my way
> through the remaining differences.  Basically, it is just
> tedious review of
> a diff between my current James MAIN checkout (which contains
> the merged
> code) and branch_2_1_fcs; making changes and updating a
> script that will
> add, remove and commit.
>
> But here's a question.  This will be the merged code and the
> newer Avalon
> code.  Do we have any concern that we need to release a point
> release using
> the old codebase and old Avalon with just your minimal patches?

IMHO, we need a point release to fix critical problems, such as the
fetchmail issue. The changes are of Release Candidate quality right now.

I see the code merge as a later, lower priority, activity that signifies the
start of a new development phase. As  there are many opportunities for
issues to creep into the merged source, this is perhaps the first of a
number of alpha releases, rather than a Release Candidate. Certainly, I
would want to fully retest fetchmail against the merged codebase before
deeming it good to go.

So, I guess I'm arguing for an RC release for the critical fixes and an
alpha release of the code merge. But then, I'm not the one having to do the
work and can understand the incentive for minimizing the number of releases.

-- Steve