james-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: website updated, maven2 poms, temporary repository, new artifacts
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:14:38 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> > This does bring to light an important issue.  What maven is doing is
> > little beyond what we ask people to do re javamail and activation...
> > download jars that will invariably not be signature checked.  Maven
> > just makes it much easier to do this and otherwise remove jar
> > dependencies from svn.

When people download manually, they are responsible to validate the
authenticity of what they download.  Fortunately, the majority of people who
naively don't verify their downloads at least tend to download them from the
author's site, not from an insecure, public, repository of dubious content
that has already had faux artifacts posted, although so far not maliciously.

Maven downloads from that repository and does not authenticate the contents,
which is an impedance mismatch between what it does as a tool, and the
necessary self-policing required of such a tool.

But that issue is separable from the other than you raise:

> do we want to keep dependencies in svn or not?

YES.  Except for the JVM, yes.  They do not change that often that this is a
problem, and we can trust OUR infrastructure.  There is a related thread
currently going on the Directory server development list regarding how
relying upon the repository has turned out to be a problem because it is now
not easy to go back and build versions from as recently as a year ago.  The
Maven infrastructure is simply not stable, and you cannot rely upon it to
preserve the necessary artifacts indefinitely.

I am OK to exclude derby, although I find it convenient to have the specific
version we use handy, and we've already removed ant.  But at least I know
that I will always be able to find all released versions of ASF projects in
http://archive.apache.org/.

If and when the ASF decides to host our own Maven repository wherein we can
ensure that for all time we have ALL necessary artfifacts to build all
historical versions, I'll be happy to revisit whether we should maintain the
artifacts in SVN.

	--- Noel