james-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: mime4j updates
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:54:15 GMT
Niklas Therning wrote:
>> I then generated the website (mvn site) and committed it to the
>> site/www repository. You can see the result here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/www/mime4j/
>> If everything is ok this will become official on the next "svn update"
>> on minotaur.
>
> The site looks great. We need to replace the link on the download page
> that point to sourceforge to something else. Also, IIRC the samples page
> lists some samples that only exist locally on my computer. Sorry about
> that. I'll have a look at it tonight and commit the changes to your
> branch. Is that ok?

I didn't create the sample folder in the branch yet.
So if you're fastern than me than commit the samples to the trunk.
Otherwise if I will have already created the samples/examples folder in
the branch add them to the branch.

I'll replace the download link as soon as we vote for a release and put
the release in the ASF repository.

>> We should also make sure that ASF is the main channel for the website
>> and releases of mime4j.
>> Who does control the www.mime4j.org domain?
>> Why the 0.2 release has been done on SourceForge and not here in the ASF?
>
> Joe registered the domain while I'm in control of the sourceforge
> account where the content is hosted. When the mime4j page goes live at
> the ASF I'll simply change the site at www.mime4j.org to do a redirect
> to the new location. Is that ok?

I updated the official site, now in http://james.apache.org/mime4j/ you
can see the new website.
The redirect would be perfect: btw we'll link always
http://james.apache.org/mime4j/ and not www.mime4j.org (that is not an
ASF resource).

> Binaries and other releases should definitely be at the ASF. I'm sorry
> for the 0.2 release. It was a quick fix and I didn't have the time at
> the moment to look into how to move things to the ASF. But now when this
> is going to happen please enlighten me on how things work. Where do new
> releases go? How to make them? Who can do new releases? We need to be
> able to release mime4j as a separate component.

The procedure is:
- tag the content you want to release
- create the package for the release
- start a vote
- if the vote is succesfull, publish the release.

I think that we could try to make a 0.3 release as soon as Joe will
check my update to javacc4.0  so that we'll have a first ASF official
release.

>> I didn't copy the samples folder to the maven2 branch because I'm not
>> sure on the best approach with this. Maybe the best thing would be to
>> have a different maven2 project for the samples, any other idea?
>
> I think a separate project for the samples would work. This is how we do
> it on the MINA project
> (http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/index.html) where I'm also
> a committer and it seems to work quite well so far.

Ok, then I will create an examples subfolder like MINA did.

>> What about the issue tracking for Mime4J? I see that we don't have a
>> JIRA project for it and that on sourceforge there is an old issue
>> tracker. Should we create the JIRA "MIME4J" subproject (like we did
>> for JSPF, JSIEVE, POSTAGE)?
>
> I'd like that.

Serge is the one with the karma for this. Now he's a lot busy and does
not follow the list. As this is not an high priority task we should wait
for him to be less busy and ask the MIME4J project creation.
I'm not sure if we could ask for this creation to the infra team instead.

Stefano