james-general mailing list archives

From Niklas Therning <nik...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mime4j updates
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:34:57 GMT
Hi Stefano,

Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> I created a maven2-port branch for mime4j and I did the following changes:
>
> - reorganized to maven2 standard directory layout
> - updated build script to maven2 (including javacc and jjtree code
> generation by maven2 plugin)
> - updated source file headers to follow the latest ASF rules
> - updated javacc/jjtree files to be javacc4 compliant (the maven2 plugin
> is for javacc4.0).
>
> The tests passes but due to the javacc update I would like to have some
> sort of review on my changes.
>
> Can anyone review the branch and tell me if the generated jar is still
> working like before or if I introduced any problem with the changes to
> the *.jj *.jjt files?

Joe could you have a look at the changes? I still don't know enough
javacc to do this.

> I then generated the website (mvn site) and committed it to the site/www
> repository. You can see the result here:
> http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/www/mime4j/
> If everything is ok this will become official on the next "svn update"
> on minotaur.

The site looks great. We need to replace the link on the download page
that point to sourceforge to something else. Also, IIRC the samples page
lists some samples that only exist locally on my computer. Sorry about
that. I'll have a look at it tonight and commit the changes to your
branch. Is that ok?

> We should also make sure that ASF is the main channel for the website
> and releases of mime4j.
> Who does control the www.mime4j.org domain?
> Why the 0.2 release has been done on SourceForge and not here in the ASF?

Joe registered the domain while I'm in control of the sourceforge
account where the content is hosted. When the mime4j page goes live at
the ASF I'll simply change the site at www.mime4j.org to do a redirect
to the new location. Is that ok?

Binaries and other releases should definitely be at the ASF. I'm sorry
for the 0.2 release. It was a quick fix and I didn't have the time at
the moment to look into how to move things to the ASF. But now when this
is going to happen please enlighten me on how things work. Where do new
releases go? How to make them? Who can do new releases? We need to be
able to release mime4j as a separate component.

> I didn't copy the samples folder to the maven2 branch because I'm not
> sure on the best approach with this. Maybe the best thing would be to
> have a different maven2 project for the samples, any other idea?

I think a separate project for the samples would work. This is how we do
it on the MINA project
(http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/index.html) where I'm also
a committer and it seems to work quite well so far.

> What about the issue tracking for Mime4J? I see that we don't have a
> JIRA project for it and that on sourceforge there is an old issue
> tracker. Should we create the JIRA "MIME4J" subproject (like we did for
> JSPF, JSIEVE, POSTAGE)?

I'd like that.

> Niklas, Joe: can you update us on the status of this project? Do you
> currenlty use mime4j? Are you still working on it/interested in working
> on it? Are there other mime4j users around?

At Trillian we're using mime4j in our anti-spam service,
www.spamdrain.net, parsing thousands of messages per day. It's working
extremely well for us.

There's no work being made on it at the moment but I have some ideas for
improvements and I'd like to continue the development in the future when
time permits.

I'm not sure whether there are that many mime4j users out there.
According to sourceforge's statistics we've had about 40 downloads a
month. I have no idea what that means in terms of actual users.

Regards,
Niklas