james-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] maven2 and james repository short term solution
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:31:37 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is all new stuff for me... please be aware stupid questions
> follow... and sorry for being late.
>
> Below some clarification questions, short answers are welcome.
> I am +0 with the rest, because I still have to and want to get familiar
> with it.
>
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The problem: we have products (jspf and mime4j) that use maven2 as build
>> system. We now rely on "SNAPSHOT" projects (james-project and the james
>> maven-skin) and on a temporary repository I setup in my minotaur home
>> directory.
>>
>> 1) "james-project" (1.0-SNAPSHOT) and "maven-skin" (1.0-SNAPSHOT)
>> artifacts are now in james/sandbox. We should find a better place for
>> them.
>> My proposal is to move them to the root james folder and to rename
>> james-project to "project":
>> /james
>> |-project
>
> "project" is only website-related?
> if yes, please let's find a better name, for example "site-general" or
> "project-site"
> if no, what is it for?

No, "james-project" would be the root artifact for every product
released under the apache james umbrella.
It contains the commons informations for the James project (website,
repositories, developers, licenses).
Think at it as the AbstractPOM for our POMs (m2 has many Object Oriented
things in its architecture)

>> 3) we should introduce a james project third party library repository
>> where we'll include every "non-apache" library used by our releases.
>> Fortunately now that we don't include junit in our releases and that sun
>> released javamail/activation under CDDL we can safely put all our needed
>> libraries in that repository (we already put that library in different
>> folders of our repository).
>
> I guess the goal is to remove all the multiple library-copies in the
> projects and load them from the central repo?

The goal is being able to create a release for our m2 based products
(mime4j and jspf need a release soon) and avoid to use jars from non-asf
repositories because Noel had some security concerns with external
repositories security.

> will the repo also contain james server jars, like "james-<version>.jar"?

Maybe, I don't know now. I would like to solve the mime4j/jspf problem
now.. Then we can understand better and discuss if we need our own
releases to be published there, also (I think we don't need this,
because ASF releases can be published in official ASF-wide repositories).

>> 4) we should prepare non-snapshots releases for our "project" and
>> "maven-skin" and maybe we should make the same thing for jspf (0.9) and
>> mime4j (0.3).
>
> you mean, official releases?

Yes, official releases. Snapshots can already been published in the
ASF-wide m2 snapshot repository.

>> 5) Vote the release and publish them to the m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
>> as they will start being official james artifacts so I can remove any
>> reference to my home on minotaur.
>
> but if we do not trust ibiblio, can we really switch to it?

I didn't say ibiblio repository, I said m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository:
this is an ASF repository with the paculiarity that is mirrored by
ibiblio. We *trust* the content of m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository because
ASF has the control over its content (or at least I understood this from
past Noel sentences).

Stefano