james-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Now, kiddies...
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:51:31 GMT
On Jan 26, 2008 6:58 PM, nhtom <tombaker@email.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Brand new here.  Super basic questions.  I've looked but haven't found
> this info.  Perhaps it's just too basic/obvious - but not to a mail server
> novice like me.

just FYI server-user@james.apache.org is the best forum for these
kinds of questions

> I've set up JAMES on a PC.  I finally got it to receive email (I looked in
> the folder), I just can't pick it up from Outlook on another machine.
>
> In ZoneEdit I have my domain, "foo", set up like:
>     IP Addresses:  Domain name: mail.foo   IP address: 12.34.56.78
>                                             webmail.foo
> 12.34.56.78
>     Domain: foo.com     Destination: mail.foo.com
>
> In Outlook it asks for "Incoming mail server(POP3)"  Often, this looks like:
> Pop3.domain.com.  How should this field be filled when connecting to JAMES?

that depends :-)

if you've configured JAMES to serve standard POP3 then just use the
host name for the server that JAMES is running on

> Also, what should I enter to specify the SMTP server?  This is often
> something like smtp1.domain.com.  What does JAMES provide/use?

again, if you've configured JAMES to serve standard SMTP then just use
the host name for the server that JAMES is running on

> When I simply enter foo.com for both of them and "Test Account Settings" it
> establishes the connections, finds SMTP and POP3 but can't log onto POP3 nor
> send a test message.
>
> I've checked and rechecked the username password.  I've checked the username
> and reset the password over the telnet connection.

most email protocols are text based so i just dig out the RFC and telnet

(but then again, i'm a developer)

- robert