james-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF Position Regarding Sender ID and Microsoft OSP
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:08:19 GMT
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 4:39 AM, David Fisher <dfisher@jmlafferty.com> wrote:
> Hi -

hi david

>  I'm involved in the Apache POI project and we have quite an active
> discussion going on that includes discussion about Microsoft's Open Source
> Promise (OSP) [1] and whether that is sufficient license protection for the
> project's users. During the discussion we were pointed at the ASF Position
> Regarding Sender ID [2] which was written by the ASF, Apache SpamAssassin
> PMC and Apache JAMES PMC.

micrsoft has come a long way since 2004

>  I couldn't help noticing that Microsoft had made the OSP to the SenderID
> RFC's. Does the project feel that the OSP does anything to eliminate the
> concerns expressed in the position statement?

i haven't studied it in detail but at first glance it looks good

>  The OSP makes me think so, but I think you are the definitive audience to
> ask. (I'm asking both projects)

i'm not sure i'd describe us as the definitive: legal-discuss is the
best forum for legal questions and that's where this one need to be
moved. if it's time for apache to change it's position WRT sender ID
we need to talk about it there.

- robert