james-general mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: When will James 3.0 move out of beta
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 07:33:06 GMT
Hi Amy,

It's not an easy question but I'll try to answer as well as I can.

Why has it been in beta for years ? I think that it's just because
releasing software is not an easy task, It requires people to spend a
lot of time to finish stuff and polish rough edges. It also means
deciding to not include everything, stop to integrate new feature, etc.

It looks like the community never managed to handle this task.

Now, is it stable ? : I would say maybe too much. There's probably still
some problems in the codebase but I mean a lot of people are actually
running the beta and don't really need an official 3.0 release to use it.

Finally, we are today several people working fulltime on James (it
probably never happened before), funded by Linagora and we try to push
the project forward by cutting a 3.0 release soon.

We already proposed a release plan on the mailing list.

We would really like to release for ApacheCon Seville in November but
never forget that Apache James is a community project and we won't be
able to do that if people in the community disagree with our wishes, so
don't take that as granted.

I hope my answer helps.

Regards,

--
Matthieu Baechler

Le 15/09/2016 à 00:55, Amy Chang a écrit :
> All,
> Can anyone provide inputs on the question stated earlier?
> Thanks much,Amy
>

>      On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:17 AM, Amy Chang <acsmiles@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>   Hi,
> Does anyone happen to know when James 3.0 will move out of beta? It appears it has been
beta for over 4 years. Is there any reason why it hasn't moved out of beta for so long?