james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Federico Barbieri <scoo...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: System Load
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:51:12 GMT
"Joan Carles Núñez" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I have been playing with James and I am very impressed with its design
> and stability.
> I have been testing it with MySQL, Interbase and I am about to test it with
> Oracle. I have written a stress test program which you can find at the end
> of this message. When I push the server to handle heavy loads the JDBC driver
> for Interbase starts to throws Exceptions when recovering blobs.
>
> Question: Does James deal with system load limits? Looking at the source of
> sendmail I see that they use a function called "shouldQueue" which takes the
> system load and if it is higher than 1 then it queues the message. It starts
> to deliver more messages when the load goes under 1. In this way it protects
> itself like transaction monitors do. With James I have seen my machine go to
> load levels of 10 or higher. Does James have/need such functionality?
>
> Cheers,
>
>        Joan Carles

If I'm not wrong james impl queque ALL incoming messages so processing
and sending is done asichronusly. SMTPHandler send messages to james
wich just queque them (James.java line 403).

It could be nice to be able to dynamically change threads priority to
balance pushes and pops in and from the queque thou I think it's quite a
pain to query the jvm for system load...

Fede