james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Federico Barbieri <scoo...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: System Load
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:37:50 GMT
"Joan Carles Núñez" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Ok. Would it be a matter of writing a native C function that queries system
> load and call that from the JVM via JNI?
> Doing this for Linux should be easy, don't know about Windows...
>
>        J. C.

On a second though I'm not sure if this can better performances... there
are mainly three groups of threads... those acceptiong mail (SMTP),
those processing (mailets) and those providing services (POP3, IMAP).
In theory acceptiong threads should have always better priority than the
other two and service threads should be faster than processing threads,
no matter haw heavy the system load is.

In some extreme situstion it may make sense to freze a group of threads
(limit the number of active threads in that group):
If the buffer is full limit accepting threads, if the number of users is
high limit processing etc.

In all this situation thou I don't see any specific reaction to the
system load... not sure...

Fede