james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: CVS changes
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:05:12 GMT
Charles Benett wrote:

> does the version of james in cvs work with a released version of
> avalon?

There is no such thing as a released version of Avalon.  Avalon is in
alpha, and it's APIs are subject to change.  Welcome to the bleeding edge.

Knowingly using a half-baked product (hi Peter! <grin>) and ignoring
deprecation warnings is reckless negligence.

> I think james cvs should work against a released version of
> avalon, otherwise anyone wanting to help with james coding
> is going to have to master 2 (or possible 4 if avalon splits)
> cvs modules.

At the moment, James works against the version of Avalon that is checked
into its cvs tree.  You don't need to change your work habits.

> So, I'm unconvinced of the necessity of gumpiness.

We now have an Avalon developer following this list and sharing your pain.
Hopefully this will cause the rate of change for the Avalon APIs to slow
down, and in any case it gives the Avalon team some insight into the impact
of any changes they may make.

- Sam Ruby